Institutional Sexual Abuse Claims

We provide expert but affordable legal advice and put our clients first.

If you have suffered institutional sexual abuse, you have most likely experienced a wide range of adverse consequences, including physical and psychological trauma. Many individuals who experience institutional abuse carry the scars of their experience for the remainder of their lives. No amount of compensation can negate the damage caused; however, the injuries suffered by victims often have life-long physical, emotional, relational and financial consequences.

What is institutional sexual abuse?

There are many legal variations in the definition of institutional sexual abuse.  However, all definitions refer to the physical or psychological damage caused to another person or child by the abusive behaviour of others or the failure of others to protect the person or child from such damage.

An institution is responsible for sexual abuse when they could otherwise have prevented it from occurring. Examples of institutions where sexual abuse may occur include:

  • Churches.
  • Public and private schools.
  • Universities.
  • Clubs.
  • Government institutions.
  • Orphanage.
  • Children’s Home.
  • Where institutional activities take place, such as:
    • Camps.
    • Sporting facilities.
    • Youth and sporting clubs.
  • Childcare centres.
  • After-school care centres.
  • Foster homes.
  • Medical centres.
  • Prisons.

The sexual abuse may have been elicited by:

  • A teacher.
  • A member of the clergy or church leader such as:
    • A priest.
    • A nun.
  • A camp leader.
  • A coach.
  • A medical professional.

Rogalski Lawyers can help you to pursue an institutional sexual abuse claim with empathy and compassion regardless of the age at which the abuse occurred, and regardless of your current age. We are committed to seeking justice on your behalf and to obtaining financial compensation for victims of institutional sexual abuse. Our legal team will ensure that the perpetrator is held fully responsible and that individuals and organisations who attempt to cover-up the abuse are also held accountable.

At Rogalski Lawyers, we understand that the decision to lodge an institutional sexual abuse claim can be overwhelming. Our experienced compensation lawyers understand your concerns and work hard to alleviate your fears with empathetic listening and personalised service. We appreciate the seriousness of your situation and understand that telling your story may be traumatic. Therefore we offer face to face consultations in the comfort of your own home or our office according to your needs. We will be proud to fight for justice on your behalf so please call Rogalski Lawyers today.


I was abused many years ago, am I still able to claim compensation?
Yes. Time limits for institutional sexual abuse claims were abolished in Queensland. Laws may differ in other states and territories, so you should seek legal advice in your respective state in case time constraints do apply.
Do I need a witness to support my claim?
No. Evidence from a witness would be helpful, but it is not necessary. A claimant can tell their story first-hand without any corroborating evidence and be accepted.
How long will my claim take to complete?
A claim of this nature is usually measured in months as opposed to years. However, each case is unique, and sometimes a large amount of preparation is essential to maximising your entitlements to compensation so your case may take slightly longer. Our lawyers are thorough in the preparation process and will do whatever it takes to achieve the best possible outcome on your behalf.
What does institutional sexual abuse compensation cover?
Compensation for institutional sexual abuse usually covers:

  1. Non-economic losses, such as pain and suffering;
  2. Past and future loss of income;
  3. Past and future medical costs and rehabilitative care;
  4. Commercial value of care and assistance;
  5. Associated legal costs.

Free Case Assessment

Call us today on 1300 848 424 to arrange your no-obligation free case assessment, or fill in our online form.