Mould exposure leading to asbestos exposure.
I have acted for a number of clients in compensation claims because they developed mould related respiratory symptoms.
Many of these clients endured prolonged exposure to mould inside and outside their homes. Usually, they had no other choice because they lived in Housing Commission homes and they were not offered alternative accommodation by the government even when it was available.
It is even more worrying when the children have developed mould related respiratory symptoms too.
It is also an expensive exercise for the tenant when, in addition to medical expenses, their property is written off due to mould contamination. I have claimed property damage for clients too.
What is most concerning is when the mould has been identified, yet there are no precautions taken for removal of the mould on asbestos-containing building products. This led to tenants and their families exposed to asbestos dust which can cause mesothelioma and various other asbestos-related diseases.
The issue was recently highlighted by SMH. You read the SMH article at https://www.smh.com.au/national/victoria/housing-department-accused-of-trying-to-prevent-asbestos-legal-action-20190509-p51lmk.html.